After researching and testing over several leg press machines for a few weeks, we’ve concluded that Body Solid Leg Press and Hack Squat is the most robust, durable, and space-friendly leg press machine for your home gym.
It is one of the mid price range leg press machines that provides you with an immense amount of back and shoulder cushion for comfort.
Great for building the strength of your leg muscles including the quads, thighs, hamstrings, and glutes. There are different styles, including vertical, horizontal, and seated leg machines, but they are the safest and the most secure way to build your lower body
Table Of Contents
- 1 The Top Trap Bars Reviewed
- 2 Find the Leg Press Machine for You
- 2.1 1- Body Solid Leg Press and Hack Squat
- 2.2 2- TDS Premier Vertical Leg Press
- 2.3 3- Powerline Home Gym with Leg Press
- 2.4 4- Bodycraft Leg Press Hip Sled
- 2.5 5- MiM Hercules Smith Machine Leg Press
- 2.6 6- XMark Leg Press Hack Squat
- 3 Leg Press Buying Guide
- 3.1 What Leg Press Machine Should You Choose
- 3.2 What Should I Look For In A Leg Press Machine
- 3.3 How Much Weight Can A Leg Press Machine Hold
- 4 FAQs for Leg Press Machines
- 5 Leg Press Vs Squat
- 6 What Muscles Do Leg Press Machines Work
- 7 Leg Press Machine Exercises
- 8 How To Use A Leg Press Machine
- 9 What Are The Benefits Of Using A Leg Press Machine
- 10 Conclusion
The Top Trap Bars Reviewed
|Product Name||Type||Dimensions||Best For|
|Body Solid Leg Press and Hack Squat||Angled Leg Press||83” L x 34”W x 56” H||Best durable and robust option|
|TDS Premier Vertical Leg Press||Vertical Leg Press||47 ”L x 49” W x 75” H||Best for small home gyms|
|Powerline Home Gym with Leg Press||All-In One with Horizontal Leg Press||71” L x 66” W x 83” H||Best complete home gym|
|Bodycraft Leg Press Hip Sled||Angled Leg Press||39” W x 79” H x 50” D||Best Machine with Leg Variety|
|MiM Hercules Smith Machine Leg Press||Smith Machine with Vertical Leg Press||60”L x 80”W x 87” H||Best versatile and safest machine|
|XMark Leg Press Hack Squat||Angled Leg Press||87” L x 36.5” W||Best affordable leg press machine|
Find the Leg Press Machine for You
Body Solid provides complete safety and support for individuals looking to perform squats, hack squats, and calf press on the leg press machine. Weighing at 138kg, the leg press and hack squat is robust and durable.
With a 4inch back and shoulder seat cushion that stacks the weight evenly throughout your back, you can perform exercises safely up to 1000lbs. This is included with a diamond plate foot platform that keeps your feet from slipping so you can focus on performing the exercise.
The Body Solid Leg Press and Hack Squat Machine is the perfect machine to switch between different leg exercises without a spotter. Their three lockout positions ensure you are safe from any weight falling on you.
This leg press machine is one of the most robust and durable because of the amount of weight and versatility of all the leg exercises.
- Switch Between Leg Press and Hack Squat Easily allowing you to work on different leg muscles
- Ergonomic and Sleek Design to ensure minimal stress on your body. Thick padding and Double stitched to ensure you’re comfortable moving the weight
- Three safety lockout position ensures you are never stuck in the machine while using it
- Perfect for people that are over 6 feet to workout on it
- Does not come assembled with five different boxes. May need a handyman to set it up
- The footplate is narrow which may be an issue for individuals that have big feet
The TDS Premier Vertical Leg Press is perfect for individuals that have a small home gym. The vertical design saves space and eliminates any chances of you cheating while you lift.
Made with heavy-duty steel tubes and mounted with eight heavy-duty steel rollers, it allows the weights to glide, ensuring the move without any added resistance. With a wide steel footplate, it’s perfect for every height or foot size.
The back padding is made with a 3-inch stitched thick padding with strong safety stoppers that ensures the stress on your back is distributed evenly, reducing injuries.
The unique design reduces stress to the knees and is easy to take down and set up again if needed. It is an excellent piece of an exercise machine with a lifetime warranty if you have limited room in your home gym.
- Three Inch Thick Stitched Back Padding provides protection and stress redistribution for your back
- Vertical design reduces stress from the knees
- The steel footplate is perfect for individuals that have wide and long feet.
- It comes with olympic and standard weight bars
- Easy to setup and work out
- The heavy duty stoppers ensures you’re safe at all times
- The vertical leg press is a noisy equipment meaning you have to lubricate very frequently to reduce the screeching
- Bolts have to be tightened perfectly. If they over tighten it will not run smoothly. If not tight enough, there can be serious accidents
- A bit wider than most equipment
- No neck rest available so have a pillow is advisable
The Powerline Home Gym is a complete home gym that includes an entire leg extension rowing bench, butterflies, pullup stations, curl stations, and leg press machines.
The multi-functional machine helps you reach your fitness goals regardless of size and height. It is made for total body workouts and gives you the freedom to exercise based on your needs and goals.
With the low, mid, and high pulleys that give you a range of upper body exercises and the leg press that has comfortable thick pads for both headrest and back pad, you’re able to strengthen all your leg muscles, including the quadriceps, hamstrings, glutes, and calves.
The unique design of the Powerline’s Leg Press Machine reduces the dangerous and painful compression of the spine and allows your legs and body to use its full range of motion, giving you the maximum amount of muscle use.
The Powerline Home Gym is one of the most versatile machines that can help you reach your body and leg goals.
- A space saver since it comes with other workout machines and equipment attached. This is the perfect leg press machine gym as you can work on building other muscles as well.
- You won’t need other small equipments for specific exercises as the Powerline includes them all
- The Powerline is made to be easily upgraded. You can increase the weight stack from 160 lbs up to 210 lbs.
- The leg press back rest is padded giving you comfort and slippery free when you sweat it out
- One of the more expensive machines
- This machine is too much if you have other equipment in your gym already
The Bodycraft Leg Press & Hip Sled adds more variety than an adjustable leg press machine. It allows for donkey squats, which is perfect for making your glutes, booty, and core stronger—ideal for people who are looking to add more variety to their leg routine.
The Bodycraft is made with heavy-duty steel and industrial grade bearings, meaning it can take a serious beating and hold heavy weights. The steel footplate is large enough for people with any feet size and width, adjustable for any desired angle. For other exercises such as hack squats, the footplate can be folded out of the way.
It is equipped with fully adjustable back, head, and shoulder pads to accommodate any height and body size.
The Bodycraft is excellent for individuals that want more than performing leg press exercises. With the adjustable footplates and seats, you can get more out of your legs and build the lower body you want.
- Adjustable footplates allowing you to perform different types of squats and presses.
- Can be inclined to different angles to work different muscles
- Inbuilt shoulder pads are adjustable allowing for individuals with any height to leg press
- Able to donkey squats reducing your spine being compressed and injury
- Compact, taking up very little floor space
- More expensive than other leg press equipment
- Heavy and will need more than one person assembling it up
The MiM Hercules Smith Machine is all in one functional training machine that includes the leg press. The smith bar can be unlocked and locked in fourteen different positions, giving you options for upper and lower body lifts.
Weighing around 490lbs, the smith machine can load up several 45lb weight plates for heavy leg presses. Made with a heavy-duty frame of thick steel and bars coated with black powered paint finish preventing wear and tear, chips, and structural damage, this smith machine provides a safe way to build the body of your dreams.
With hundreds of different upper body and lower body exercises available on the Smith Machine, additional accessories can be added, such as ankle cuff, rotating bar, tricep ropes, standard barbel, j-hooks, dip handles, V-handle, D-handles, and more. This machine is the ultimate leg press and workout machine that provides safety and versatility.
- No anchoring required. MiM’s smith machine is heavy and sturdy even without any weight plates. It won’t budget or wobble, providing you the stability you need when performing heavy weights.
- Heavy duty steel frame, electrostatic powder coating, commercial-grade functionality and manufacturing makes it one of the best functional leg press machines on the market
- Hundreds of different accessories
- Easy to assemble if you help
- Does not come with any weight stacks meaning you’ll need to purchase the plates and weights.
The XMark Leg Press combines the hack squat and leg press to provide you different ways to work your legs. With a sturdy steel construction designed to withstand up to 1000lbs, it’s built to last.
There are four different settings for your footboard, shoulder braces, and backrest to provide you the comfort that you need to get the most of our workout. With the added padding, you can lift more without your spine, taking the brunt of the stress.
The feet pads are made with non-slip material ensuring that your feet stay in place while lifting heavyweights.
The XMark Leg Press & Hack Squat Machine is one of the more affordable options. With everything that you need to work those quads, calves, and glutes, you’re able to get the workout you need to reach your lower body goals.
- The back padding is made with three inches of Duraguard Vinyl, meaning it’s resistant to swear and liquids allowing a slip-free workout
- Unrestrictive and perfect to work all your leg muscles with both the hack squats and leg presses
- Multiple settings on the footplate and back rest to adjust to your size, height, and preference
- Easy to rack handles
- Assembly instructions are not straight forward
- When you begin to max out of the machine, you may hear creaks.
Leg Press Buying Guide
What Leg Press Machine Should You Choose
The leg press is an equipment designed to tone and strengthen your thighs, glutes, quads, and legs. However, there are three different leg presses available.
Vertical Leg Press Machine
The vertical leg press is where you are flat on your back while your legs are directly beneath the weights.
This allows your ab muscles and core to be engaged more than other leg press machines. With the additional support for your back, it’s an excellent alternative for individuals concerned about their spinal health.
Angled Seat Leg Press Machine
Angled Seat Leg Press puts the weight at a 45-degree downward angle from your legs, so you’re moving your legs through a great motion range. This means more muscles are activated, meaning more muscle groups are being trained to become bigger and stronger.
Horizontal Leg Press Machine
Horizontal Leg Press is practically sitting in a chair and pushing your legs straight out in front of you. You are positioned 90 degrees horizontally and often the most straightforward leg press machine to use.
Since you are in a natural position, you feel more secure. With the addition of handles on both sides, you can be comfortable performing your leg press exercises.
What Should I Look For In A Leg Press Machine
Gym Equipment is often a bit more expensive than owning a gym membership. However, it gives you the flexibility and versatility to work out whenever you want.
Here are a few things you should consider before you purchase your first leg press machine:
A leg press machine is not inexpensive but it’s important that you get what you pay for. Having a machine that can withstand hundreds of pounds is crucial for your safety. Spending more can be beneficial but make sure you’re not breaking the bank.
Leg Press Machines can take up a lot of space. Make sure you check the specification for your equipment and any accessories that come with it before purchasing.
Depending how strong you are you may need to purchase extra weights. Most Leg Press machines don’t come with any, so you may need to add on extra weights towards your budget.
Some Leg Press Machines come with more accessories. See which are useful for your workout and ignore others that you’re never going to use.
Leg Press Machines have different functionalities. Some may have a hack-squat machine included while others have better cushioning and stability. Look into machines that fit towards your body and goals.
How Much Weight Can A Leg Press Machine Hold
Before you buy a leg press machine, understanding it’s maximum weight limit is crucial. If you load more than the weight limit, you’re putting yourself at a big risk.
Most angled leg press machines hold 1000 pounds while vertical leg press machines hold 400 pounds. So make sure you double check each machine’s weight limit before purchasing.
FAQs for Leg Press Machines
Leg Press Vs Squat
Both squats and leg presses work on your quadriceps, hamstrings, and glutes. However, due to the difference in movement, other muscle groups such as abs and hips are used for squats while leg press only involves your legs’ direction.
Leg presses are great at building leg strength but they can be risky when you try to move too much weight or lock your knees. However they are great for leg isolation workouts as your back is supported and your hands are at rest. You can adjust which leg muscles are used by your foot position on the foot pads.
The best thing about leg presses is that you don’t need a spotter when you’re lifting heavy. However, you may risk having leg imbalance as one leg may be working harder than the other. This results in your back round or putting stress on your knees if you lock out.
Squats focus more on your quads, glutes, and hamstrings providing a fuller workout. Some variations can be used to strengthen your lower body.
However it is more movement focused, meaning that if you do not perform the squat properly, you’re going to get injured compared to a simple leg press.
Studies On Squat Vs Leg Press
A study was performed to see the difference activations of 10 experienced male lifters using different foot placements during their squats and leg press.
- Feet straight
- Feet turned out 30°
- Wide stance
- Narrow stance
- High foot placement leg press
- Low foot placement leg press
The results showed that squats had more hamstring and quadricep activation while the knee takes a greater force. Foot placement plays a part on which muscles are activated.
These results show that squats are a great exercise if you’re experienced in the movement to train your leg strength. However, if you’re an average person you should use the leg press.
Using a leg press machine, the weight is distributed throughout the body reducing the overall stress it has on your knees. Studies have also shown that glute activation, calf muscles, thigh muscles, and quads are also being worked on with similar intensity as the squat.
What Muscles Do Leg Press Machines Work
Leg press works the quadriceps, hamstrings, glutes, and calves. All muscles critical for balance, posture, and reducing lower back and joint pain.
Your feet placement determines the leg muscles that you want to train.
Leg Press Machine Exercises
High Feet Leg Press
High Feet Leg Press is when you put your feet higher on the foot pad. This makes your glutes and hamstrings work harder. This takes the stress of the quads and a perfect alternative to hamstring curls and deadlifts.
Low Feet Leg Press
Low Feet Leg Press is when your feet are lower on the foot pad putting stress on the quads. This is a great exercise for the quads however if you have knee pain you should go light for this exercise.
Wide Stance Leg Press
Wide Stance Leg Press focuses on more of your inner quad, thighs, and hamstrings. Similar to a sumo squat you’ll be able to lift more weight as you’re using bigger muscles.
Narrow Stance Leg Press
Narrow Stance Leg Press works your outer thigh and quad muscles. The more narrower your stance, the more quad dominant the press.
Normal Stance Leg Press
Normal Stance is where you place your feet shoulder width apart. This focuses on your whole leg muscles to work on the press.
How To Use A Leg Press Machine
When you sit on a leg press machine, make sure your body is in a comfortable position. Usually with your head and back resting comfortably against the thick padded support. Place your feet to your desired position with an angle around 90 degrees at the knee.
- Brace your core and abdominal muscles as you push the platform away with your feet and heel. Both feet should remain flat on the footplate.
- As you exhale, extend your legs while keeping head and back flat on the seat pad.
- Pause at the top but make sure you’re not locking out your knees
- As you inhale, return the footplate back to the original position by bending the knees.
Make sure you don’t put too much weight and keep your butt flat against your seat. Poor position can cause imbalances to your body and eventually injuries may occur.
What Are The Benefits Of Using A Leg Press Machine
Leg Press Machines don’t need a spotter. You can lift heavier amounts of weight without balancing a bar. There are weight locks to ensure the weights stay in place and don’t come crashing down on you.
Targeted Isolated Muscle Exercises
No expensive gym membership when you have all your lower body needs with a leg press. You can perform all your leg exercises and work out in the comforts of your own home. Target the legs and hips more effectively than standard squats.
Less Spine and Core Engagement
Leg Press is perfect if you have a core and spine injury. It reduces the stress on these areas allowing you to keep increasing your leg strength.
The leg press machine is one of the most versatile equipment that you can have in your home gym when working on your lower body. Out of the six leg press machines, we recommend Body Solid Leg Press and Hack Squat.
It is one of the mid price range leg press machines that provides you with an immense amount of back and shoulder cushion for comfort. With a hack squat machine combined, you can make your glutes and quads toned and stand out.
As you can put up to 1000lbs of weight on the rack, you’ll never need another leg press machine again. With the durable steel structure and diamond plate foot platform that prevents you from slipping, this leg press is the perfect machine for your home gym and your leg needs.
The runner up is the TDS Premier Vertical Leg Press. This is a unique leg press as you’re pushing against gravity. It’s thick padding and safety stoppers provide individuals the security and safety they need to work on their legs. As it’s small and robust, it’s perfect for individuals with minimal space in their home gym.